Wednesday, September 29, 2010

100926 Back in the USA


Scenic Byway - I've enjoyed all the fall color in the little towns I've driven through on this trip. My last drive through Canada was another scenic byway. Honestly, every road I drove on in Canada was scenic! High, green fir-covered hills with splotches of golden.

US Border – (Sunday) I think I just need to tell them up front that I’m semi-retired when I'm at border crossings. The ICE guys seem suspicious of my free-wheeling attitude and lack of a schedule. This time they inspected my fridge to make sure that it contained no other fruits or vegetables except the yellow onions I declared! The Customs guy made a comment that made me think that, actually, he just wanted to see the inside of my RV. :-)

Groceries – I had not bought groceries the whole time I was in Canada because they are so expensive, so I stopped in Bonner’s Ferry, Idaho, for groceries. I felt like a kid in a candy store – so much selection! Reasonable prices! I could buy anything I wanted! When I made this comment to the grocery store clerk, he reminded me that the Canadians have free health care, though. Good point. There are trade-offs no matter where you live.


Blue Lake CG – I’m staying at the nicest little campground, beside a pretty little lake in northern Idaho. I walked part way around the lake when I got here. Quiet. Serene. The owner is very friendly and helpful. There is a human-sized chess set by the lake and a seat with scope and birding book set up so you can watch the birds on the lake. Their love and care for this place is evident everywhere. I would recommend this campground.

Home - It feels good to be back in the USA. It was a wonderful trip, one I hope to repeat, sooner, not later, but there's no place like home.

No comments: