Saturday, September 11, 2010

100903 Strait of Juan de Fuca and Cape Flattery


I got my first glimpse of British Columbia today. Vancouver Island is on the other side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca that separates the US and Canada here. I drove along the coast, up to Cape Flattery, the most western and northwestern point in the continental US. I have now been to the most southern point in the US (Key West, Florida) and the most western/northwestern point in the US. The view of the waters of the strait and Vancouver Island on the other side was so beautiful the whole way along the coast. There was a bank of the whitest of white clouds/fog along the Vancouver coast, and, contrasted with the blue, blue water of the strait, the occasional white boat or white rocks, it was stunning. I couldn’t keep my eyes off the view. A bald eagle flew right above me; with the sun making its white head and tail feathers shine, it was a gorgeous sight (didn't get a picture as I was driving).

I stopped for lunch at a Native-owned and -operated restaurant in Neah Bay, with a view of the bay from my window.











I drove into the fog bank to get to Cape Flattery. There was a half-mile, but moderately steep, trail through the humid, lush forest to the cape. Too bad it was foggy. It was a beautiful place, with a view of Cape Flattery Lighthouse on Tatoosh Island just off shore.

A bunch of us watched a golden eagle for a long time. It was kind of behind a branch on a tree so I couldn't get a good shot (especially with my little camera - my good one is being repaired), but I tried for a long time.

No comments: