Tuesday, September 28, 2010

100920 Yellowhead Scenic Highway


Snow – As I was unplugging my electric connection this morning, I glanced up at the mountains, and saw a dusting of snow! While it was raining down here last night, it was snowing up in the mountains. Beautiful! When I went by the post office I asked about the roads through the mountains. No snow where I was going, they said. As it turned out, the road I took was above the snow line for part of the way, but, still, the roads were fine. The ground is so warm that the snow has no chance of sticking until you get pretty high, and, even there, there was no snow sticking on the road. But the dusting of snow made for a beautiful drive. Even so, I was relieved when I got to Hwy 5, which is a major highway, and off 99 and 97, which are smaller roads.

Yellowhead Scenic Hwy – The road from Kamloops to Clearwater is designated scenic the whole way. Shoot, everywhere I’ve driven in BC, since I got to Vancouver, has been a scenic drive! The road goes in the valley in between the mountains, along the Kamloops Lake, then along the Thompson River. Part of this drive you would consider "high desert", and there was lots of sagebrush and other desert-like things. The area around Kamloops Lake reminded me of Roosevelt Lake in Arizona [photo above right]! That surprised me. But as I get further north, there are more yellow birch and aspen and cottonwoods mixed in with dark green fir trees. I saw a golden eagle flying above the Thompson River.

My BC Weather Girl – My BC Weather Girl lives in Arizona!! I called my mother and asked her to check the weather forecast for Jasper and Clearwater for tonight. She said it’s supposed to get down to 24 in Jasper tonight but only 34 in Clearwater, so I will stay in Clearwater tonight. But after tomorrow, the weather forecast for Jasper is warmer, and clear! Hurray!

No comments: