Wednesday, September 29, 2010

100921 Columbia Mountains & Jasper National Park

Columbia Mountains – The whole drive today was scenic. It started out with high hills, yellow aspens, birches, and cottonwoods, waterfalls, rivers, lakes. Beautiful. But overcast. The further north I got, the more yellow trees. At some point I saw my first glimpse of a snow-covered mountain top. And they kept getting more frequent, as I went through the Columbia Mountains, until at the visitor center in Mount Robson Provincial Park, there were snow-covered mountains in all directions.

Elk – I saw four elk in my first 20 minutes in the Jasper National Park. Two bulls with large racks. It’s rut season, and I heard both males bugle. First I saw one bull herding a female. “This one’s mine; stay away.” Then I saw another bull, very close to my RV. In fact, I heard them bugling as I was going to sleep at night. Sometimes they sounded very close, like they were in the campground.
I drove through the small town of Jasper, and got a good view of the mountains to the northeast as the sun was setting. The views in every direction are awesome.

No comments: