Wednesday, September 15, 2010

100913 Sequim Area


Dick and Julie have showed me the highlights of what Sequim has to offer over the past few days. One day we drove over to Crescent Lake in the Olympic National Park. It's a long, narrow lake in between mountains, which reminds me a little of the Norway fjords.

They took me to The 3 Crabs Restaurant in Dungeness to eat. The Dungeness area is famous all up and down the Pacific coast for the quality of their crabs, and I've enjoyed the Dungeness crabs every time I've eaten them.

One day we drove over to Port Townsend, which is a pretty little harbor town on the northeast tip of the Olympic peninsula. We've been to several parks in the area.

Another day we went to a local lavender/herb garden/shop, which was delightful. I was surrounded by wonderful smells, both when I was walking through the garden, and inside their store. I loved looking at the ceiling in their store, with all the different types of lavender and herbs drying there (they grow 70 of the over-200 varieties of lavender!). They grow a lot of lavender in this area and there are several lavender farms here that do tours.

A couple evenings I've enjoyed watching the deer wandering around in the orchard, and eating the apples, just outside my RV. Twice now I've seen and heard geese flying overhead, in V-formation, migrating south. I guess I can't pretend any longer that Fall isn't here yet. :-(

When we weren't sight-seeing, Julie and I were working on geneology. Julie has been doing it for 20 years, so she knows a lot more than I do. She shared with me some Danish records on our ancestors, as well as information on Dick's "leg" of the family tree. And I was able to share with her some of the information I've gathered on our family, as well as show her a few tricks! So it was mutually beneficial, as well as fun!

Their granddaughter Drew and I picked blackberries from their front yard. I even found a few (three!) stray blueberries left on their blueberry bushes! [right] Their son Dave fixed us a delicious baked salmon one evening. Every other day, Julie has cooked delicious country-style comfort food, which I really appreciate.

It's been a delightful visit here. I've already warned them I like this area very much, and intend to come back here again!

No comments: