Friday, September 17, 2010

100915 Whidbey Island and Deception Pass


Whidbey Island – I caught the last rays of the sunset at Admiralty Head Lighthouse last night after I arrived on the ferry. This morning I saw another harlequin duck in the harbor when I went for a walk on the beach after I got up. Too bad it was cloudy most of the day today. I wandered around some, but didn't spend as much time as I would have, if it had been sunny. It is a nice island, though. I’d like to go back and explore the whole island sometime.

Deception Pass – I wandered through Deception Pass State Park at the top of the island before I crossed the Deception Pass bridge to get off the island and back on the mainland. A big white (snowy?) owl flew right over my head as I arrived on the beach. Wish I'd had my camera ready so I would have gotten a decent shot of it. I enjoyed watching some Heermann's Gulls (with bright red beaks) for awhile. The bridge was impressive, though I couldn't get a good shot of it. One of the trees I'm enjoying, and had never seen before this trip, are madronas. They have green leaves and bright reddish bark. Quite striking. I saw them for the first time in northern California, but I've seen them off and on all the way up here.

Cascade Highway – I'm headed toward the North Cascade National Park, but stopped early for the day when it started thunderstorming.

No comments: