Friday, September 17, 2010

100916 North Cascades National Park


North Cascades NP - I drove east of Burlington on the Cascade Highway, up to the North Cascades National Park today. I stopped on the way there at an organic farm and bought their last pint of blueberries (it's the end of the season). There were lots of very long cascading waterfalls, like Gorge Creek Falls [right], some mountains with snow on top, some pretty alpine lakes. A couple of the mountains had a dusting of snow on them; I assume that the rain we had in the valley yesterday turned to snow at some of the higher elevations. I drove up to Diablo Lake [photo below] then headed back to a KOA campground north of Burlington, WA, when it started to rain. It's supposed to be rainy all weekend. Ugh!

So I made it to all the national parks in Washington on this trip. Hurray!

And I've seen all but one of the major Cascade Peaks; I never did see Glacier Peak, though I saw all the rest of them.

But that gives me an excuse to come back!! :-)

No comments: