Friday, July 30, 2010

100727 Crater Lake


July 30, 2010 - Bend, Oregon
Un-Boat Ride – I went over there about 10, hoping to get on the 11 AM boat, but no one without reservations was allowed on the boats in the morning. They would decide about running any boat rides this afternoon, depending on the weather. Rainstorms are forecast again. The weather was threatening by then, so I did some of the things I’ve been wanting to do on the other side of the rim instead.

Rim Drive - Instead I checked out a red sandstone formation and stopped at a beautiful waterfall and watched a fat little beaver busily eating green leaves almost right in front of me for awhile.

Sun Notch Trail– This was a little hike through a meadow and to the rim, with great views of the lake. [photo above] I loved it. I saw, what I found out later was, some pink/purple/fuschia male pollen thingies (that's a technical biological term) on whitebark pine trees. They're not commonly seen, because whitebark pine only grow at high altitudes. They startled me; I'd never seen them before.

Wildflowers – I took a short trail through lots of wildflowers. If you're used to Texas wildflowers, this wasn't much, but it was a nice little hike.

I'm going to spend one more night here, and hope to get on a boat ride tomorrow.

No comments: