Thursday, July 8, 2010

100708 Golden Gate Bridge & Muir Beach Overlook


July 8, 2010 - Olema, CA - I'm staying in a real campground this evening, in a grove of really tall trees (they sure do grow them big here!), inhaling the marvelous wood smoke smell, and the smell of the cedar trees all around. This is my favorite kind of campground - out in the woods, but with electricity, and bathrooms nearby! :-) After driving my RV through the skinny downtown streets of San Francisco earlier today, this quiet, relaxing environment is what I needed. As much as I love the opportunities of city life, my heart definitely lives in the woods and the mountains.

I try to get at least a little exercise every day, and to vary the places I walk (that's pretty easy when I'm on the road!). Today I decided to walk on the Golden Gate Bridge. I've driven over it several times, but today I walked to the middle of the bridge and back (total of 1.5 miles). It was a beautiful sunny day, with temps in the low 70s. It was windy (seems it's always windy here), but not as bad as it's been some days. The San Francisco Bay was so beautiful - with all the white sailboats against all the shades of blue in the water. And the view of the city was impressive too. The sun on the dome of the Palace of Fine Arts made it shine like gold. As I was finishing my walk, some sailboats in a race came right under me, under the bridge.

I was going to stop at Muir Woods, but I'd been warned the parking was terrible there, and they weren't kidding. I would have had to park about a mile away, so I was glad that I stopped there back in 2000, and gave up on it. I stopped instead at Muir's Beach Overlook, which I didn't see last time, and it was spectacular. Each time I see something so spectacular, I think there's no way to top that one, and then the Creator does just that. The views up and down the coast from this overlook are unmatched.

The last part of today I was driving a road I'd never been on before, which is always a treat for me. My last time here, in 2000, I took a wrong turn and missed the lagoon that I drove by today. Marshes and lagoons are some of my very favorite places.

No comments: