Thursday, July 15, 2010

100715 Trinidad & Patrick's Point


July 15, 2010 - Orick, CA - I know exactly what day I was last in Trinidad. It was August 25th, ten years ago. I spent my birthday ten years ago hiking around Trinidad Head and up to the top, then I ate at a little restaurant on the nearby pier that had been highly recommended to me, and had some delicious crab crepes. It was a perfect day. I didn't realize then how fortunate I was to have a sunny day, but I realize it now. I ate again today at the great little restaurant on the pier (Seascape). I didn't see crab crepes on their menu anymore, so I ordered a crab omelette, and it was to die for! A local recommended that I try their blackberry malts, and they looked delicous, so I had one. Yummm! The views of the coastline at Trinidad are gorgeous [see above]. Trinidad Head itself was increasingly covered in fog, so I opted out of that walk [above right].

Instead I drove up the road a little and visited Patrick's Point. I was right on the edge of the fog line, so sometimes you could see the point pretty clearly, and sometimes it was completely covered in fog. [photo left] But, as I drove out to the point, the fog lifted and/or moved offshore, so I had a beautiful sunny visit there. This is one of the places I had hoped to visit last time I made this trip, and didn't have enough time. Am I ever glad I made it there today! What a wonderful park. I walked the wonderful Rim Trail, [photo left] as well as several of the off-shoot trails that go out to the various points. The hikes out to the various points weren't easy, but they were very rewarding. There must be a lot of rocks and an uneven bottom offshore, because there is a lot of whitewater around the point, and, contrasted with the dark rocks and the blue water - beautiful! I saw lots of beautiful wildflowers today. Wild sweet peas [see above] and irises. A delicate orange flower I've never seen before [see below]. Lots of beautiful foxglove beside the road [see below].

At the end of the day I visited three lagoons: Big Lagoon, Humboldt Lagoon, and Freshwater Lagoon. Big Lagoon was especially beautiful, I thought. I enjoyed the contrast of the quiet and the still water, since I've seen so much rough surf lately. I stopped by a beach with a beautiful golden cliff on the way to my campground.

Another perfect day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking me along! When I read your blog and see your pictures I feel like I'm there!