Monday, July 12, 2010

100709 Point Reyes National Seashore & Lighthouse


Jul 9, 2010 - I debated making the drive over to Point Reyes again, as I saw it when I was here in 2000. But I'm glad I did. There just isn't any place quite like Point Reyes. It's a unique place and the views are spectacular.

On my way to the lighthouse I drove through Tomales State Park and a pair of California quail posed prettily for me.
I decided that for today's exercise I was going to walk to the lighthouse and back. It's only half a mile to get to the visitor center, but then it's over 300 steps down and 300 steps back up - the equivalent of a 30-story building - to get to the lighthouse itself! I didn't try it last time I was here as I didn't feel I had time for it. But today I did. And the weather was great - warmer, and less windy than my last time here. Point Reyes is the foggiest and windiest point on the Pacific coast (133 mph winds recorded). This is such a windy place that the few cypress trees are twisted and bent from the wind. There is a bright orange alga that grows in places in this part of the world, and there are a number of large thick colonies at Point Reyes. In a rare treat, there was a ranger on duty at the lighthouse today, letting people in to see the lens and providing information about it and the lighthouse. A visitor told me that he'd been to the lighthouse 50 times and this was the first time he'd gotten in to see the lens. So my good luck continues...

No comments: