Sunday, August 22, 2010

100821 Tide-Poolin' & a Puffin

Aug 22, 2010 - Long Beach, WA
I started the day yesterday by trying to visit the Twilight Eagle Sanctuary, but they were closed. :-( I guess they're closed on weekends. I was disappointed.

Then I drove over to Fort Clatsop, which is part of the Lewis and Clark National Historical Park. It's the last fort they built on their trip, where they ended up, where they wintered over before beginning the trip back to St. Louis. I've seen lots of statues of Sacajawea on my journeys, but this is one of my favorites. This one, of Sacajawea and her son Pompey [above] almost makes you think you've come across them walking through the woods on their way back to the fort. Since I've been to the point where Lewis and Clark started, as well as crossed or followed their path all along the way over the past couple years (Columbia, MO; Mandan and Williston, ND; Great Falls and Pompey's Pillar, MT; Salmon, ID; the Columbia River Gorge, OR), I thought it was only fitting that I see where they ended up.

I drove the 25 miles back to Cannon Beach in the afternoon so I could be at Haystack Rock at low tide, for some tide-pooling! Finally, a successful tide-pooling trip! Saw lots of sea creatures in the tide pools - especially green sea anemones and orange and purple starfish. It was kind of like an impromptu tide pooling party and everyone was having a fun time. Just as important, I also saw a puffin in flight! (I was glad there was a staff person standing beside me on the beach to confirm it really was a puffin, as they look a lot like common murres when they're flying and there were lots of those.) Most of the puffins have returned to sea, where they spend most of their lives except for when they are breeding, nesting, and hatching), but there were a few left.

Last, but not least, I got a recommendation from the woman who works in the office at the RV park, and ate at Buoy 9 restaurant in Warrenton for dinner. Had an excellent seafood pasta (you can add this one to your list, Laura, if you make it up this far north).

What a delightful day!

[one of Haystack Rock's "neighbor" rocks, "Sven", right]

No comments: