Wednesday, August 18, 2010

100817 Oregon Coast

Pleasant Valley, Oregon - 17 Aug 2010
Weather – It started raining before I left the campground this morning, then sprinkled on and off all day. It was a foggy, cloudy day. This was only the second rainy day I've had, though, since I left Mesa, AZ, on June 15th.

Aquarium – The Oregon Coast aquarium in Newport had been recommended to me, so I went by there before I left Newport. I was surprised at the number of people there. There was a long line waiting to go in. Maybe part of it was the rainy weather. The aquarium doesn't really compare to the world-class Monterey Aquarium that I visited in June. But I thoroughly enjoyed the water bird aviary (surprise, surprise!). I especially enjoyed the tufted puffins,which I'd never seen before. Such cute birds – so full of personality. I can see why people are so fond of puffins. One swam right up to me and was dunking himself in the water, without minding that I was right there, at all. It was nice to see common murres and pigeons guillemot up close too, and to be able to get a good look at them. I had planned to visit the two lighthouses in town, but, with the heavy fog, you couldn't see a thing off the coastline.

Flowers - I saw some beautiful garden flowers today. Some kind of beautiful pink mums (Spider Mums maybe?), that make me think of muppets. And, at my campground, some of my favorite flowers - stargazer lilies - in white, pink, and red! I've never seen them growing before, just in flower shops. They are so pretty, and I love their fragrance too.

No comments: