Sunday, August 8, 2010

100731 Sahalie Falls & Detroit Lake

7 Aug 2010 - Albany, OR

I checked out Clear Lake again in the morning, then Koosah Falls, then Belknap Springs. Koosah Falls was nice; if I hadn't already seen her sister Sahalie, I would have been more impressed. Belknap Hot Springs was okay; it's basically a resort. They pump the 200-degree water that they get from the natural hot springs and mix it with cold water, to cool it down to 104 degrees, and fill their pool with it. But the grounds are nicely landscaped (preparations were underway for a wedding to happen later). By the time I went back by Sahalie Falls, the sun was full on her, and she looked even better than she did yesterday. [photo above] These are some of the prettiest falls I’ve ever seen. Almost perfect. And all the green plants and moss in the area, from the humidity and mist, makes it even more beautiful, with the contrast of the blistering white falls against all the green.

Detroit Lake, Oregon - I had to stop in this little town and get postcards for my friends and family who live in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. As I was leaving town, I made a point of stopping at the one spot in town where you get a good view of Mt. Jefferson over the lake.

The National Park Service identifies 14 "major" volcanic peaks in the Cascade range in the US. I'd seen four of them prior to this trip: Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta in California; Mt. Hood, near Portland; and Mt. St. Helens (Washington). So far on this trip I've added: Mt. McLoughlin, Crater Lake, Diamond Peak, Three Sisters, and Mt. Jefferson. I have four yet to see: Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier, Glacier Peak, and Mt. Baker (all in Washington).


I found a very nice but reasonable campground only 30 minutes south of Salem, in the town of Albany. What a deal!

2 comments:

Katherine Rhodes said...

Kathryn,
Your photos are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the wonderful descriptions and magnificent pictures. The falls looks magical and you make us feel like we are there with you (wish I was).
Take care. Judy Nygard