Sunday, August 8, 2010

100807 Mt. Hood

7 Aug 2010 - Albany, OR I drove to Portland today (75-minute drive) to spend some time with my nephew and his girlfriend. I parked Carri in a parking lot, and they drove us through Mt. Hood National Forest to the Timberline Lodge, situated at 6000 feet, on Mt. Hood. This is all lush, green, and beautiful ferned, flowered, and forested country. As we were above the lower level clouds, we were able to see the summit of Mt. Hood.

I've promised my friend Laura that I will include good places to eat in my blog, so I want to be sure and let you know that I recommend the lunch buffet at the Timberline Lodge. We had one of the best buffet meals I've had. Everything tasted good, from the bread and salads and beef stew through the roast beef and tri-tip roast sandwiches to the Swedish Creme berry parfait dessert. (The theme was Oregon beef today, and other Oregon produce.) And while you eat you're looking out the window at the clouds below you. On a clear day you're looking out the window at the mountain peaks in the distance. Can't beat that!

We drove through the Columbia River Gorge on the way back to Portland. We stopped briefly at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery, and I was captivated by some delicate pink roses there that almost seemed to glow. We saw some great views of the gorge from the river.


I'm planning to spend another week in the Salem area. I've made arrangements to have some warranty work done on my awning (I had intended to get this done in Mesa before I left on this trip, but the guy ordered the wrong part...it's a long story). While I'm waiting for that to get done, I can "pick the brains" of my cousins here, who are the "family historians". I'm getting lots of good info on my dad's side of the family, for my family tree. And I'm loving the weather here - 80s and sunshine! So I'm looking forward to another week here.

1 comment:

Grace said...

The Columbia River Gorge is on our list of things to do in September, as well as some side trips to the series of falls along the river. Any recommendations about which offer the best bang for the buck? We'll also be visiting Mt. St. Helens, and while in Vancouver, Fort Vancouver. Is the fishery an easy stop if you're traveling the Gorge road?