Sunday, August 1, 2010

100730 McKenzie Pass


2 Aug 2010 - Albany, OR

Bend, OR - It was nice to spend part of a day in a city, after being so "out in nature" for the past week. I took advantage of it, and got groceries and had my nails done. So I got a late start on the road. But one of the first things I saw was my first peek at Mt. Jefferson. It's got the classic "pointy top" volcano shape and is one of my favorites, so far. [above]
McKenzie Pass – I took the scenic route, which climbed up over 5000 feet, and took me right through the middle of a lava field, which I've never experienced before. I got close to the North Sister and Middle Sister. Also got good views of Mt. Washington and Mt. Jefferson. And Belknap Crater, which erupted with all this lava. I've never before seen anything like the memorial building at the pass that was made of lava rocks. I was surprised to see bear grass on the way back down the west side of the mountain – and I thought Glacier National Park was the only place that had bear grass!

McKenzie River - I’m finally into what feels like Oregon to me – old growth forest and waterfalls. I stopped at a beautiful – perfect – McKenzie River waterfall – full and wide - the Sahalie Falls. But it was getting dark, so I didn't get a real good look at it.

Clear Lake - I stopped at a beautiful lake, Clear Lake, near there. The setting sun reflected in the water, with four female ducks floating by, was the picture of a perfect end to the day.

Fish Lake Campground - So I decided to stay here. I want to spend more time at the lake and the falls tomorrow. And there is another falls nearby also that I haven't seen yet. But they have no camping at the lake resort. And the two nearby campgrounds that I checked, are full. Found a campground that costs nothing (no services or utilities) - you just pull in and park.

No Mosquitos – Even though I’m around lakes, rivers – no mosquitoes. Or gnats. Or other bugs. I don’t get it! But I like it.

No comments: