Thursday, August 19, 2010

100818 Tillamook

Tillamook, OR - 18 Aug, 2010
I started slowly today. Why not? I'm on vacation!! :-)

After my leisurely morning, I went on the Tillamook Cheese factory tour. Part of the tour is a free cheese-tasting. The ice cream isn't free, but it's a tradition. I've never seen a cheese factory before, and it was interesting. I noticed after I got into Tillamook County yesterday that I was seeing lots and lots of dairy cows. :-) The Tillamook factory receives 1.6 million pounds of milk each day, and they ship over 160,000 cheeses daily. Wow! It was interesting to see the huge tanks of milk and cheese, and fascinating to watch the assembly line process big blocks of cheese into packages ready to ship. I also made a brief visit to the Blue Heron Cheese factory - smaller, more intimate.

Then I drove the "Three Capes Scenic Loop" and finally saw some of the "haystacks" for which the Oregon coast is famous. The loop took me by Cape Lookout, the coastal town of Oceanside [photo above], the Cape Meares Lighthouse (a pretty little lighthouse with some red glass in the lens) [photo left], the Octopus Tree, and Tillamook Bay. My favorite part of the day was a long walk on the Ocean Bay Spit. It was just me and the birds and the beautiful bay. Loved it. [photo below]

I saw some fuschia today [not columbine, as I previously stated erroneously]. Can you believe these bright red and purple flowers are wild flowers??

I did mention that I'm going S-L-O-W-L-Y, right? I'm just thankful that there was little fog today, so I could see the coastline!

No comments: