Thursday, August 19, 2010

100819 Cannon Beach & Ecola State Park


Astoria, OR - 19 Aug 2010
The sun was shining when I got on the road today, and it was another beautiful day. My drive took me along Tillamook Bay, then I stopped at Garibaldi to take a few photos of the haystack rocks there [photo above]. I also stopped along the road at Neahakahne Mountain to get a close look at a plant I'd never seen before - turned out to be a kind of thistle, but it was about six feet tall and had an impressive shining purplish flowering stalk. [Anyone know what this is? I haven't been able to find anything about it on the Internet.] I also saw lots of hairy pink honeysuckle [left], some California poppies (that remind me of Arizona's desert poppies) [below], lots more wild sweet peas (everlasting pea), and a rare white foxglove [below].
I stopped for lunch at Mo's in Cannon Beach, and was late enough that I beat the crowd this time. There are several Mo's on the coast and they are all very popular. I had stopped at one a couple days ago, for a late lunch, and the line was so long (probably 20 groups ahead of me) that I decided not to wait. Today the crab and avocado salad I had was excellent. I chose outside seating, and enjoyed the sunshine and a fantastic view of Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock while I ate (probably the best known off-shore rock in Oregon). And I brought some chowder home - for dinner this evening! Smart girl!! :-)

Before my trip to the Oregon coast, when I asked people who had been here for their favorite places, Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park were mentioned the most often. And I can see why. The view south of Cannon Beach, from Ecola View Point, is quintessential Oregon Coastline - cloud-topped green mountains, haystacks offshore, beautiful white surf. What an incredible view! [right]

No comments: