Monday, June 11, 2012

7 May 2012 - Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho

I stopped in Twin Falls and took a break for a couple days. I'd been pushing it pretty hard since I left Arizona and wanted to slow down a little. I knew I was back in the north country when I heard the redwing blackbirds in the marsh next door, and saw all the beautiful lilacs blooming in the campground. And I enjoyed every minute of it. :-)

While I was in town (Twin Falls) I drove to the beautiful Snake River Canyon. I wasn't far from the spot where Evil Knievel tried to jump the canyon in 1974. It's really hard to imagine someone trying to jump over such a huge canyon. I also drove over to Shoshone Falls, known as the Niagara of the West. Both are worth seeing, even for the second time. :-)

Then I drove north, through Sun Valley. This time of year you can still tell that it's primarily a ski resort area. Once again, the drive through the Sawtooth Mountains was incredibly beautiful, with snow-topped mountains on three sides. The majestic view of the mountains on the other side of the Salmon River Valley far below, was definitely worth the drive. Even for the second time. :-)

As I was driving through the Salmon River Valley, on the Salmon River Scenic Byway, I was surprised to see a pair of striking sandhill cranes. I've only seen them in the wild once before, in Wisconsin. They had rubbed clay into their feathers, as they are wont to do, so that their feathers were a beautiful rust color. And, most amazing, while I watched, one of them did a kind of dance for the other. I read later that "dancing" for each other isn't that unusual in a pair. But it was incredible to watch.

No comments: