Sunday, June 12, 2011

12 Jun 2011 - Texas


I returned to Albuquerque on May 15th, and Steve and I left the next day, heading for Austin. One of our stops along the way was by a creek in a city park in Brady, TX, where I picked up a couple of kittens that had been dumped there. I couldn't ignore their scared distress cries, knowing their mama was not going to show up and take care of them. I named them Brandy and Brady (later decided to call the female Cleo instead). The first three weeks they were pretty sick with an intestinal bacterial illness, but they recovered nicely (with daily medicines). They wouldn't have made it without my care, so I am glad I ran into them. I so much enjoy watching them play together, growling at each other at their food bowl, and love having them sleeping in my lap or on my shoulder while I'm driving. I think their tiger faces are beautiful, and their spotted cheetah tummies are adorable; but I am looking for a permanent home for them now.

Austin was hot, humid, and buggy. It was a constant battle trying to keep legions of sugar ants out of our rigs. We heard that they were so bad because of the drought the last two years. But we made the most of being in Austin our first week there - hiked Bull Creek, shopped Whole Foods World Headquarters (the most impressive food presentations I've ever seen) and the Container Store, went swimming at Hamilton's Pool,[photo left] ate at Fonda San Miguel and the Oasis. Then, after some in-depth discussions about our relationship, Steve headed north to cooler climes. Seems we want two different types of relationships, after all. :-( I wish him the best. I hope he finds someone to spend the rest of his life with. I hope I do too. :-)

I spent a couple more weeks in Austin, taking care of medical things, mostly routine stuff, all minor. I saw a few friends, and went to a few restaurants, but not as many as I usually do. I brought three friends out to see my friend Maggie's "wild soap bar" business on the Land, which was something I'd wanted to do for ages. We all brought home souvenirs of the most fabulous-smelling natural soaps. A couple friends took me to Esther's Follies, which I hadn't been to in years. They were just as hilarious, witty, and creative as ever, and a good time was had by all! :-)

I left Austin on June 9th, feeling thankful as I drove each mile further north. I've really gotten spoiled, spending my winters in Arizona; I do not like this humid heat at all. I am spending more time in northeast Texas than I have before. I attended my friend Carol's granddaughter's wedding, and have spent some time visiting friends here. But it's still too hot for me here, and am looking forward to getting further north.

No comments: