Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5 May 2012 - Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, Kanab, Utah

I've been sending money to this animal sanctuary, and wanting to visit here, for years, since long before they became so well known, due to their work after Hurricane Katrina, National Geographic's popular "Dogtown" TV show, and their work with the "Michael Vick dogs". I'm glad I finally made it. I took one of the several 90-minute tours they offer daily. I took the Volunteer Orientation class, too, because I was hoping to volunteer, but that didn't work out, because I had my dog with me.

I have always been impressed with this organization, and, now I am even more impressed than I was before.

Their location - out in the country, in the spectacular Vermillion Cliffs, with beautiful Angel Canyon all to themselves - can't be beat! There is more than enough room for the horses and other large animals.

I was impressed with how new and nice the facilities looked. The tour included a visit to one of the "cat houses", as well as to Dogtown Heights. I was so impressed with the cat house. It was more like a home than an institution. I wouldn't mind living there myself!! :-) The only cat that was in a cage, was the cat who had just arrived the day before, and it sounded like he would be let out later that day because he was adjusting very well. Caregivers are assigned to a particular house, so that they get used to the cats in that house, and the cats get used to them. A caregiver who knows an animal well is more likely to notice if something is "off" in an animal's behavior, than one who isn't.

The "cat house" had built-in features that cats would love. I was especially impressed with the platforms built up near the ceiling, for "rafter cats" - those cats who only feel safe up high, when they first arrive. There are even litter boxes up in the rafters, so the rafter cats don't need to come down, until they are ready.

The tour guide was very good, providing lots of information, answering all our questions, and even entertaining us. :-) In fact, I was impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of every person I dealt with during this visit. I learned that there are over 300,000 members of Best Friends now. I learned that National Geographic had originally planned to only have three episodes of "Dogtown", but it was so popular, that it ran for four seasons. I learned that they have rehabilitated, and found adoptive homes for, several of the Vicktory dogs. You might remember that the fighting pit bulls that Best Friends took from the Michael Vick rescue, were the ones the other rescue organizations said couldn't be rehabilitated. And they are still working with the others (although two have died). I was reminded that Best Friends gives workshops continually, for others around the country who want to learn how to run a successful sanctuary operation.

After I took the tour, I spent some time at "Angel's Rest", the animal cemetery. As expected, this cemetery is used for the animals from the sanctuary, and is also used for the employees' animals. But Best Friends has offered to their members, for years, the option of purchasing wind chimes for the cemetery, in memory of a beloved pet. And so the cemetery is full of the tinkling sound of wind chimes. I can only say that this cemetery experience was probably the most pleasant of my life. There is something about all those beautiful wind chimes, that makes it seem like such a serene, spiritual place. I left there thinking that all cemeteries should have wind chimes in them. Having worked Hurricane Katrina for FEMA, I was moved by the memorial to the Katrina animals. But, I was moved by the whole experience. We should all have such a lovely place for our final rest.

No comments: