Tuesday, April 19, 2011

13 Apr - North Dakota


FEMA called me on Apr 12 and wanted me in North Dakota the next day, so I flew from Albuquerque, NM, to Bismarck, ND, on the 13th. I'm working a special project for FEMA here, part of a hotline we are running for the state of North Dakota. Like all the rest of the FEMA people here, I am working 7 AM to 7 PM, 7 days a week (7x7x7). They told us recently, though, that our hours will decrease starting Apr 25th - only ten hours a day instead of 12! :-) As usual, the first days on the assignment, I was pretty wiped out at the end of the day, but I have adjusted to the schedule (as much as you can). I'm still tired at the end of the day, but not as bad as I was at first. Working these hours, I have had little time to drive around and see anything.

Although most of the winter's snow had melted and there wasn't much snow on the ground when I got here, we got eight inches of snow my second day here, and it's snowed most days since. It's been cold too - down into the 20s most nights. Some days haven't gotten out of the 20s for highs either. Most days have been overcast and cool. Some have also been windy. Someone here said recently: "Welcome to the state of North Dakota - the only state that goes straight from winter to fall!" We're not out of winter yet. :-(

On the good side, the late spring and cool weather slows down the snow melt, so that is good for the flooding situation.

The rumor is that this will be a short assignment, but I haven't heard anything official yet.

No comments: